North Pacific Yearly Meeting

of the Religious Society of Friends (QUAKERS)

March-21-2020 Online

North Pacific Yearly Meeting Coordinating Committee (CC)

March 21, 2020; 9:00-11:50 AM PST

 

Meeting began at 9:00 via Zoom due to the coronavirus and the need to keep socially distant.

Present:

Margaret Coahran, Outreach & Visitation Clerk, Pullman-Moscow; Mim Coleman, Youth Program Coordinator; Rick Ells, Information Technology Committee Clerk, University Friends; Ted Etter, CC representative and Nominating Committee representative, Missoula; Lucy Fullerton on the call as Clerk of Ministry and Counsel, University Friends; Rocky Garrison, CC Clerk, Bridge City Friends Meeting; John Gotts, Webkeeper, Pullman-Moscow Monthly Meeting; Janet Jump, Finance and Legal; Johanna MacNee, Pullman Moscow Monthly Meeting representative; Jane Snyder, Associate Clerk, Multnomah Meeting; Joe Snyder; Outreach and Visitation and Multnomah Meeting representative; Nora J. Percival; NPYM secretary; Leni Skarin representative for Agate Passage; Donal Sullivan, NPYM treasurer, University Friends; Debbie Townsend, , clerk of NPYM Faith & Practice Committee and Youth Committee, Eastside Friends Meeting; Caroline Wildflower, Port Townsend Friends Meeting; David Zeiss, Clerk of NPYM.

 

Clerk Rocky Garrison began the Meeting with a call for Silence.

 

  1. Announcements
    NPYM Secretary. Nora Percival
    asked for necessary information from monthly meetings (MM) to keep MM and YM connected. Those are: updates to the YM directory (e.g., names of new members and attenders; those who have left MMs). She asked that Friends not send whole MM directories, that census forms be returned, and that the names of current MM contacts be provided her.

 

  1. Committee Reports. Submitted reports are on the YM website and some are available at the end of these minutes.

    1. Treasurers Report. Donald Sullivan reported for the first 5 months of 2020. The Friends of Color Fund has been established at $15,000 and $5,000 went to the FGC Ministry of Racism for the spring retreat. The formally existing annual session (AS) financial aid fund was returned to the general fund. The new abundant financing fund remains. PAX investments were closed and Friends Fiduciary investments opened, consisting of General funds and Youth opportunity principal. Payments have begun to be made to Lew Scholl for general arrangements under AS allotments. The registrar has not yet been paid due to paper work delays. Some meetings have sent in funds for “abundant financing.”

Half of the year’s assessment invoices have been sent. The second half invoicing will be done in April. The full Treasurer’s report is available on the website.

    1. Clerk of YM Annual Session David Zeiss expressed gratitude for the recent work of Friends. David called for spiritual support among Friends. Regular phone calls with Clerks of MM Ministry and Council are being organized and monthly phone calls for clerks of MM are being considered. Friends expressed appreciation for David’s leadership.

    2. Clerk’s Report. Rocky Garrison announced that the YM Friends of Color Ad Hoc Committee is now in place. Interested person should contact Rocky Garrison (rockygarrison@gmail.com). In addition, a pre-nominating committee, which nominates people to be on the Nominating Committee, needs to be formed. Friends proceeded to suggested names using the Zoom chat function and discussion occurred. Concern was expressed that only about the half the CC was on the Zoom call. Rocky will use email to solicit additional names. The names of those who agree to serve will be discussed by the Executive Committee.

    3. Webmaster. John Gotts proposed that NPYM obtain a Pro Zoom account at a cost of $150/ year. Discussion occurred. It was proposed that the account be established for one year. Nora agreed to oversee those able to use it and schedule its use. Accepted.

    4. Personnel Committee. Jane Snyder announced that the Registrar, Judy Lackey, has been accepted. The committee is pleased with Lew Scholl’s work as event planner.

    5. Nominating Committee. Ted Etter reported that a Western Friend (WF) Board position has been filled. He is working out a financial issue so that when necessary, travel expenses can be paid ahead of time. Discussion occurred. Lenin explained that it is the WF Board policy that Friends can be paid in advance. Friends approved.

Names to committees were read again for approval. This information is listed below. All nominations were accepted. Also listed by Ted were the vacancies that have not yet been filled.

Position

Term Length

Nominee

Dates of Service

Program Coordinator

1 year

Mark Kille (Multnomah)

10/19 – 9/20

Volunteer Coordinator

1 year

Margaret Coahran (Pullman- Moscow)

10/19 - 9/20

Asst Physical Arrangements Clerk

1 year

Nick Prazniak (Eugene)

10/19 – 9/20

 

    1. Annual Session (AS) Planning Committee. David Zeiss discussed the impact of the coronavirus on AS. Additional difficulties were reviewed and discussed. Friends agreed that AS should be canceled. Concerns were expressed for Junior Friends and their activities (e.g., fellowship, camp, etc.). Friends were reminded of the advantages of the G Suite for networking. Payment to NPYM employees was discussed. Friends were united in having the AS Planning Committee continue. A notice of AS cancellation and possible alterative activities will be posted on the website as well as sent to MM contacts. The announcement appears at the end of these minutes.

Friends were reminded that as many MM are meeting by Zoom, there is opportunity to visit meetings using this technology. Nora will send out a list of MM that are meet online and post it on the website. WF has also published an extensive list.

The Executive Committee has approved a survey about a permanent site. The site for the 2021 AS is scheduled in Missoula unless a permanent site is found.

    1. Ministry & Counsel. Lucy Fullerton announced that the next consultation will be on April 19. An announcement will be sent out.

      1. Outreach & Visitation. Margaret Cochran announced that Carolyn Wildflower has been selected to travel for visitation this year (depending on the coronavirus situation).

      2. Faith & Practice. Debbie Townsend announced that corrections to the most current version of Faith and Practice will be printed and made available on the website (e.g., the name of the Ministry and Oversight committee has been changed to Ministry and Council). She asked for permission to produce an audio book version of Faith and Practice and it was granted. Volunteers for the technology and reading were requested. A project manager has been identified.

  1. Finance and Legal Committee. Janet Jump requested a volunteer to review the account books (now housed in the Seattle area). The committee has been discussing the providing more individual grants from the Youth Opportunity Fund and suggests having a large, secondary fund for service projects managed by the Youth Committee. They advised that both of these committees include junior Friends in addition to adult young Friends. It was agreed that the Youth Committee will take over the service project fund.

  2. Youth Committee. Debbie Townsend reported that the energetic committee and Junior Friends have been working on committee guidelines (e.g., numerous topics were listed.). It is predicted that there will be ample discussion on each of the at a later time. It has been requested that MM policies and procedures regarding background checks be posted to the website

The meeting ended with Silence.

SUMMARY OF CC MEETING

North Pacific Yearly Meeting Coordinating Committee (CC) met March 21, 2021 for a three- hour meeting using Zoom. About 20 Friends participated. NPYM Secretary, Nora Percival, asked for necessary information from monthly meetings (MM) to keep MM and YM connected. Those are: updates to the YM directory (e.g., names of new members and attenders; those who have left MMs). She asked that Friends not send whole MM directories, that census forms be returned, and that the names of current MM contacts be provided her. Eleven committee reports were given. Among the highlights were that Annual Session has been canceled; a Friends of Color Fund has been established; regular phone calls with Clerks of MM Ministry and Council are being organized and monthly phone calls for clerks of MM are being considered. the YM Friends of Color Ad Hoc Committee has been established and Interested person should contact Rocky Garrison (rockygarrison@gmail.com). Friends discussed electronic ways of supporting communication, spirituality, and youth. Friends were reminded that as many MM are worshipping via Zoom, there is opportunity to “visit” meetings using this technology (e.g., Western Friend has published an extensive list. Lucy Fullerton of Ministry & Counsel announced that the next consultation will be on April 19. An announcement for the meeting will be sent out. Debbie Townsend announced that corrections to the most current version of Faith and Practice will be printed and made available on the website (e.g., the name of the Ministry and Oversight committee has been changed to Ministry and Council). She asked for permission to produce an audio book version and it was granted. Volunteers for the technology and reading were requested. A project manager has been identified. The CC meeting ended with gratitude and Silence. Barb Luetke, Recording Secretary (Salmon Bay Meeting)

 

COMMITTEE REPORTS

NPYM Annual Session in Monmouth in July is canceled.
The Coordinating Committee of North Pacific Yearly Meeting was scheduled to meet today (March 21) at the Olympia Friends Meeting House. The meeting had to be canceled because of the public-health crisis caused by the covid-19 virus. Instead we met for three hours by internet-based video. Twenty-four Friends from all four states of our yearly meeting were present. After long and worshipful discernment, we decided that we must cancel our usual Annual Session, which was to be July 22-26 in Monmouth, Oregon. We considered the probability of continuing risk to health from large gatherings, the risk to those who are doing the necessary preparatory work now (that preparatory work includes travel and face-to-face meetings), and the monetary risks of proceeding in the face of uncertainty. We are saddened by the loss of a cherished opportunity to gather and see each other’s faces. We are especially saddened by the loss of this occasion for our children, junior Friends, and isolated Friends. In place of our usual Annual Session, we hope to be able to devise other ways go gather and support each other, mostly via electronic media. Some are calling this possibility a “year round Annual Session.” As alternative plans become clear, they will be posted on the NPYM website and distributed to Meeting contact persons by email.
    —David Zeiss, Clerk of North Pacific Yearly Meeting

Annual Session Planning Positions (ASPC)

Webkeeper Report CC 2020-03-21

REGISTRATION SYSTEM

The registration system is ready for Annual Session and only needs final rates to be set. We are using a friendlier user interface, which has been extensively tested. However, any who would would like do further testing feel free to do so.

Please test the registration system at “https://npym.org/registration/register” and report any usability issues to webkeeper@npym.org. Test registrations will be removed from the system prior to openning registration on May 1st.

NPYM G SUITE @npym.org

NPYM now has a free for non-profits G Suite account and all @npym.org email addresses have been moved to G Suite. We now have the capability to setup Google groups for any committees who might like to communicate through an email list. These groups can be set so that only group members are allowed to communicate through the group, or open to the public. For instance it@npym.org is a members-only email list used by the IT committee. qew@npym.org for Quaker Earthcare Witness is open to the public and emails sent to that mailing list are forwarded to our QEW representatives. If your committee would like a group email list contact webkeeper@npym.org.

Email and group accounts @npym.org that are open to public contact are accessible through the npym.org “Contact Us” form, so you do not need to know the exact @npym.org email address to send them a communication.

There is concern regarding our use of G Suite gmail accounts and group email lists; they have the capability to retain a communication archive, and that could be helpful reference material for people who might receive that email in the future. Most of our current user and group accounts are set to forward incoming emails to designated personal email addresses. That was done initially as a convenience for the recipients. The problem is that email replies from an individual are not captured in the npym.org user or group account.

If CC deems it appropriate for the sake of a complete two-way capture of email correspondence through individual user accounts (such as for the treasurer, clerk, webkeeper, event planner, registrar,...) and for some group accounts the webkeeper will work with the individuals receiving mail through those acccounts to change from receiving forwarded emails to direct use of the acccount.

ZOOM TELECONFERENCE

The webkeeper established a free Zoom teleconference account last fall, which has been used by the IT committee for periodic remote meetings. Western Friend supplies scheduled use of their Pro-level Zoom account. Salmon Bay meeting scheduled use of that for their meetings for worship and business meetings. Western Friend has two Pro-level Zoom accounts to address need for two simultaneous meetings. Mary Klien said that sometimes occurs. She offered WF as a back-up in case we need it.

The IT committee proposes that NPYM establish a Pro-level Zoom account for scheduled use by NPYM committees, its Quarters, and associated Monthly Meetings and Worship groups. The webkeeper proposes that we consider having one or two Pro accounts at a cost of $180/year/host each.

John Gotts, webkeeper@npym.org

 

Nominating Committee Report--amended

 

Your Nominating Committee has been meeting regularly since our last report in October. In addition to our efforts to identify potential nominees for various posts, we’ve received additional input and canvassing by David Zeiss, Lew Scholl, and Lucretia Humphrey. Their collective efforts have led us to nominees, some of whom were presented to the Executive Committee recently for immediate approval, and others that we present to the Coordinating Committee for approval.

 

To the Executive Committee we recommended Mark Kille (Multnomah) for Program Coordinator and Margaret Coahran (Pullman-Moscow) for Volunteer Coordinator; Executive Committee decided to defer the approval to the spring Coordinating Committee meeting. A couple of months ago, we recommended Nick Prazniak (Eugene) as the Audio-Visual Coordinator (consider that the Assistant Physical Arrangements Clerk) and Hunter Keller (Corvallis) as a Junior Friends Advisor.

 

We asked the Executive Committee for a policy decision that would affect a potential nominee for the Western Friend board. That individual would require financial assistance in advance to travel to board meetings instead of being reimbursed after the event. (This decision was brought to the Coordinating Committee where the decision was made to approve financial assistance in advance for committee and board member travel. Based on that approval, the Nominating Committee is adding a Western Friend Board nominee.)

 

The nominees we are presenting to the Coordinating Committee for approval are

  • Don Goldstein (Bellingham) for the Site Committee

  • Esther Schiedel (Corvallis) for the Epistle Committee

  • Mary Hansen (Bellingham) for the Western Friend Board

  • Mark Kille (Multnomah) for Program Coordinator

  • Margaret Coahran (Pullman-Moscow) for Volunteer Coordinator

Positions left over from last fall that we are still trying to fill are:

  • Archivist (3 year term)

  • Outreach and Visitation (2 year term, seeking someone from east of the Cascades)

In addition to the vacancies in the Annual Session Planning Committee, we had three mid-term resignations in recent months. Most notable, perhaps, was the Western Friend Board losing two of its three members. The Nominating Committee will continue its search for new members of those committees and posts while starting to turn its attention to positions that have current members ending their terms in September.

 

The hiring of an Event Planner and a Registrar requires a review and revision of some of the positions associated with the Annual Session Planning Committee. The General Arrangements Clerk and Physical Arrangements Clerk have merged in the Event Planner’s duties. Local liaisons are now needed to maintain contact with the Annual Session site host and save the Event Planner frequent trips to the site. This year, we created (ad hoc) the Audio-Visual Coordinator position so that the Event Planner wouldn’t be burdened with learning the details of public address systems and projectors and keeping them running during Annual Session. Perhaps after our next gathering is in the rear view mirror, we can have a small committee meet with the Event Planner and Registrar and review the support they need to stage Annual Session.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Ted Etter, Clerk, NPYM Nominating Committee